13th Annual Graduate Student Symposium, 2022
The 13th Annual MIPSE Graduate Student Symposium took place on Wednesday, November 16, 2022 at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. We had 44 poster presentations – including 25 from the University of Michigan, 13 from Michigan State University, 3 from the University of Notre Dame, 2 from the University of Toledo, and 1 from SUNY Buffalo. We thank all of the presenters for their excellent posters and expert presentations. The symposium was a great success, enabling our students to share the results of their state-of-the-art research and learn from their colleagues.
The Symposium included a special MIPSE seminar by Dr. Radha Bahukutumbi of the Laboratory for Laser Energetics, University of Rochester. Dr. Bahukutumbi presented a talk titled Unraveling Implosion Physics in Inertial Confinement Fusion: Direct-drive Simulations, Experiments, and Physics-informed Data Science. We especially thank Dr. Bahukutumbi and those attendees and presenters who traveled far to attend the symposium.
New this year, the American Vacuum Society (AVS) Michigan Chapter sponsored its own poster competition.
- Schedule (PDF)
- Booklet of Abstracts (PDF)
- Best Presentation Award
- Photo Gallery
- Poster Presentations
Best Presentation Award
We had a great team of MIPSE judges for the best-posters competition. Our judges were: Dr. Scott Doyle, Dr. Asif Iqbal, and Dr. Heath LeFevre. The judges had a challenging task in selecting from the many outstanding presentations. The Best Presentation Award winners are:
- Nicholas Ernst (Applied Physics, U-M)
- Kazi Kabir (Electrical Engineering, University of Toledo)
- Tanvi Nikhar (Electrical and Computer Engineering, MSU)
The winners received a MIPSE mug, award certificate, and a plasma book of their choice.
Poster Presentations (in alphabetical order)
- Ibukunoluwa Akintola, Understanding Temperature Inhibition of Methane Conversion in DBD Plasma Using Electrical Characterization and Optical Emission Spectroscopy (PDF)
- S M Asaduzzaman, Chemical Mechanical Polishing Rate and Surface Roughness for Single-Crystalline Diamond Substrates (PPTX)
- Salvatore Baldinucci, Model for Impact of Wall Material on ECR Magnetic Nozzle Operation (PDF)
- Khalil Bryant, Preliminary Results for Experiment at WiPPL (PDF)
- Zhongyu Cheng, Non-thermal Plasma Jet Sintering of Indium Tin Oxide Thin Films (PPTX)
- George Dowhan, Faraday Rotation Imaging of X-Pinch Implosion Dynamics (PDF)
- Md Arifuzzaman Faisal, Grating Optimization for Smith-Purcell Radiation: Direct Correlation between Spatial Growth Rate and Starting Current (PDF)
- Kazi Kabir, Evanescent-Mode Cavity Resonator-Based Microwave Plasma Jet Technology (PPTX)
- Joshua Latham, Relativistic Laser Perturbation to Laser-Driven Magnetic Reconnection (PDF)
- Thomas Marks, Correlation between Empirical and Self-consistent Models of Hall Thruster Anomalous Transport (PDF)
- Julia Marshall, Resolving Extended Space and Time Correlations in Molecular Dynamics Simulations of Strongly Magnetized Plasmas (PDF)
- Sarah Roberts, Microwave Plasma Assisted Chemical Vapor Deposition Process Variable Optimization of Nitrogen Doped Single Crystal Diamond (PDF)
- Michael Wadas, A Hydrodynamic Mechanism for Hot Spot Formation in the Remnant of SN1987A (PDF)
- Collin Whittaker, A Multi-Site Emission Modeling Framework for Porous Electrosprays (PPTX)
- Yang Zhou, Quantum Pathways Interference in Photoemission from Biased Metal Surfaces Induced by Two-color Lasers (PDF)