Michigan Institute for Plasma Science and Engineering
Welcome to the website of the Michigan Institute for Plasma Science and Engineering! MIPSE is a community of faculty, staff and students at the University of Michigan and Michigan State University whose research and education programs are devoted to the advancement of the science and technology of plasmas. The breadth of research is impressive from laser produced plasmas for particle acceleration to plasmas in the earths magnetosphere. We take pride in the excellence of the research and in the resulting societal benefits.
Self-organized plasma patterns on the surface of a liquid anode
Self-organization is ubiquitous in nature ranging from the delicate structure of snowflakes to the spots on a leopard. Self-organization is observed in plasma physics as well, ranging from plasmoid formation in low pressure, rf plasmas to large-scale, magnetized structures observed on the surface of the sun. In this movie, self-organization patterns were observed on the surface of a liquid anode generated in an atmospheric pressure, DC glow discharge. Two types of patterns were observed: 1) concentric, double ring attachments at the surface of the liquid and 2) a rotating, multi-spoke-like attachment at the surface. The actual form of the pattern is sensitive to discharge current, but the origin of the self-organization is still not well understood.
Being a focal point for university-wide activities in plasmas, MIPSE:
- Provides opportunities for faculty and staff to collaborate across disciplinary boundaries
- Supports student research by sponsoring competitive fellowships to graduate students
- Sponsors a seminar series, inviting leading international researchers to the UM campus
- Seeds research activities to attract center-level funding
- Provides educational opportunities through a graduate certificate program in Plasma Science and Engineering (PSE)
- Sponsors an annual Graduate Student Symposium
- Supports undergraduate research
- Invites companies with technology interests in plasma science and engineering to join the MIPSE Industrial Affiliates Program
- Provides consultation to companies, government agencies and foundations involved in the use of plasmas